Instructions for Week Four
This week will will increase the length of the sits significantly to 25 minutes. While this might seem like a stretch, it should be achievable if you have been sitting consistently over the last three weeks. The other change to our practice this week is to let go of the raft of counting and just following the breath.
Timed 25-Minute Practice Session
You have been sitting for fifteen minutes a day for the last week. This next week we will increase the length of the sits to twenty five minutes. The video below will take you through a twenty five minute sit, with bells to indicate when the sit begins and ends. Feel free to use this video for all of your sits this week, or sit in silence without the video if you prefer.
- Twenty-five minutes of zazen each day
- Complete “Week Four Training Journal” each day
- Three twenty-five-minute periods of zazen on day seven with five minutes of kinhin or rest kinhin between
Remember to update your practice journal each day so you can keep track of your progress through this program.
This week you will chant before and after each sit. Record any thoughts or feelings you have about chanting in your journal.
- Heart of Perfect Wisdom Sutra (Daily before sitting)
- Final Instruction of Daito Kokushi (Daily after sitting)
Supplementary Training Videos:
Arriving and Entering the Zendo
In this supplementary video, we will learn about arriving at and entering the Zendo.